Saturday, September 24, 2011

transferring files from my canon digital camera

i have this cute little camera from canon called powershot sx 130 is. i had not transferred files from it for long time now. in windows xp (earlier os on my laptop) i used to get it detected as a canon powershot sx130is camera and it was quite slow to copy files from camera.

i connected my camera today to ubuntu 11.04 and it did detect my camera as "canon digital camera". however, in the default photo manager "shotwell photo manager", it just showed me 1 (one) photo. i tried to import all pics, but it only just imported that photo. luckily as it's linux, that wasn't the only way. i had this camera listed as "canon digital camera" (no model information), and when i opened that, it let me browse my memory card of camera which wasn't available in earlier os windows xp.


a bug or something i would say is, whenever i connect my camera, the display screen of my camera, lights up with the last photo i clicked in viewing mode. it's a battery drainer. i don't know if it's a bug at canon's end or ubuntu's end. i'll try to investigate when i starting looking at source code.

i was then able to copy all photos to my hdd. however again, i faced problem getting those photos scanned into library of "shotwell photo manager". i frankly, couldn't find any option in gui. i had to install google picasa which took a lot time to install (i don't know why) but after installation, it worked seamlessly. It also has an option to import photos when a camera is detected, however i didn't check that out yet. my advice, use google picasa on linux.

i'm still searching for a solution which
1. scans and lets me manage all my photos.
2. gives options to upload my photos to all popular web services like flickr, picasaweb etc (not just one).
3. provides little touch up editing options to photos.

if you know any such, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment